Saturday, October 19, 2013

The Angel

How many angles can dance on the head of a pin?  I don't know, but it only takes one angel to make my head spin.  So, if you've read my blog at all, you will have realized that I mostly do wildlife.  A Turtle, A Frog, A Fox. A Bumble Bee.  I also do some outdoor environments like the beach or a farm.  I'm comfortable with that sort of thing.  I have a client though who does not particularly care if I am comfortable. This client has insisted repeatedly that I do an angel.  And despite my protests that I only do wildlife, this client would not take no for an answer.  So I said to my client.  What exactly do you think an angel looks like.  This was my client's sketch.

Customer's Sketch

OK - Don't panic I say to myself.  Just start sketching and something will start to look good. Not there yet, but I start to see something in my sketches......

My Initial Sketch

And this is the image that starts coming through.

My Refined Sketch


And then I added a little color.

Color Grid Drawing

And in keeping with my process, I transferred the grid drawing to my already prepared mosaic frame. Now I just need to invent a new method to add the facial details.  Doing this with glass tile only is not going to work. Wish me luck.

Drawing on Frame
Here I am half way done with the gluing.

Middle of Gluing
So I finally finished the gluing.
Gluing Complete
Next I had to grind the facial features.  I told you when I started this project that the fine features of the face were just going to be too hard to do with tile alone.  I decided to use my dremel tool with a grinding attachment.  I know that some of my mosaic art friends are probably screaming right now, "No Grinding", but hey, my art is my art.

Grinding Face

Now it is time to apply the grout.  For this project I am using my secret recipe for light gray grout.  One part black grout and two parts white grout.

Applying Grout

And at last the angel is finished.  I don't expect to be getting any more commissions in the near future for angels so please enjoy this one. (Click on photo for a larger view)

Finished Angel

Check out some of my other mosaic art pieces in my Gallery.

Tiles used in this project
Hair - Yellow
Skin -Ice Pink (Opus Mosaics)
Gown - China White (Opus Mosaics)
Wings - Sky Blue (Opus Mosaics)
Purple - Fig (Mosaic Mercantile)
Blue - Deep Blue (Opus Mosaics)

Random Angle Facts
There is nothing in the bible that says angels have wings.  I'm going to stick with my pop culture image though because there is also nothing in the bible that says that angels don't have wings.


No comments:

Post a Comment