Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Welcome

Welcome to Jack Mast Mosaics.  I started creating some mosaics earlier this year and decided to create this blog as a place to showcase my creations. If you like my handiwork, please leave me a note.

I got started doing this because I was partially laid off at work and had a little extra time on my hands for the first time in a long long time.  Having extra time was great for a day or two.  But after I had completed all of my job jar projects and reading the books I had been planning to read for a long time, I decided I need something else to fill my time.  I decided to make some art.  But what kind of art.  I've always enjoyed woodworking, but I just wasn't feeling it.  I decided to make some glass tile mosaics.  My first piece was rather ambitious.  It is 5 feet by 2 feet and contains about 5000 glass tiles.  I always say that if you are going to jump in, jump in with both feet.

My first task was to sketch out my project on paper.

Sketch


Starting layout
After building the frame, I copied the sketch onto the backing board and began laying out the pieces.


After gluing on all of the 5000 or so glass tiles, I applied the grout.

Final product

Final Product with the artist.
And here is the final product.  So, if I was starting this new adventure all over again, would I do anything differently?  You betcha!  First, I would have started with something a lot smaller.  I made a few mistakes along the way, but it was a good learning project.  I'll be doing a few more of these mosaics and I hope to continue to improve my technique as I go.  So, stop by occasionally and see what I am up to.  

Check out some of my other mosaic art pieces in my Gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment