Sunday, September 15, 2013

Farm Living

Green acres is the place to be
Farm living is the life for me
Land spreading out so far and wide
Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside

New York is where I'd rather stay
I get allergic smelling hay
I just adore a penthouse view
Darling I love you, but give me Park Avenue

The chores, the stores, fresh air, times square

You are my wife, goodbye city life
Green Acres we are there

OK, this piece is my ode to the Green Acres TV Show.  I used to love this show.  I haven't seen it in a while.  But anyway, I got to thinking about farm living and how it might be a nice change of pace.  This piece is the result.

As always, I started with a rough sketch.

Rough Sketch

And then I created a more detailed grid drawing to refine everything. The biggest addition was the windmill.  I was afraid it might be too much detail for the tile work, but I thought it was worth a try.

Grid Drawing

Next, I transferred the drawing to my already prepared frame.

Transferring Grid Drawing to Frame

So this is what the backing looks like before I start gluing on all of the pieces.

Farm Living transferred to Frame

I usually throw a few handfuls of tiles on the board just to make sure that the colors work together.  And then I start with the cutting and gluing. 

Farm Living Gluing
And after many hours, the gluing is finally done.

Farm Living Gluing Complete

And then it is time for grout.  For this piece I am using a grout color called "Harvest" which is a neutral sandstone color.  This piece  is 1' x 2' and requires about a half pound of grout.  Mix the grout until it is the consistency of peanut butter.

Farm Living Preparing Grout
And then we apply the grout using a float.

Farm Living Applying Grout

And after the grout has been worked into all of the nooks and crannies, it is time to clean off the excess.

Farm Living Cleaning Grout
And then at last the piece is complete.  I give you "Farm Living".

Farm Living Complete

Check out some of my other mosaic art pieces in my Gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment