Monday, November 11, 2013

Kokopelli

I'm working with a new client on a mosaic art piece.  At first I thought we were going to something with penguins, but her husband didn't like that idea.  Next she decided to do something with a Southwest theme.
I'm partial to penguins BUT [my husband] isn't, so it would need to be something Southwest in theme, like Kokopeli or cactus or coyote, etc. Whatever strikes the artist and whatever the artist can work into mozaic.
She sent this note to me several weeks ago.  I read it at the time and in my brain I logged it as Southwest theme and then continued to finish the other mosaic projects that I had in the Queue.  Well today, I finally got back around to this project and I re-read her note.  Cactus - OK.  Coyote - OK.  Kokopelli - What? What the heck is a Kokopelli.  Thank goodness for the internet.

According to Wikipedia - Kokopelli is a fertility deity, usually depicted as a humpbacked flute player (often with feathers or antenna-like protrusions on his head), who has been venerated by some Native American cultures in the Southwestern United States. Like most fertility deities, Kokopelli presides over both childbirth and agriculture. He is also a trickster god and represents the spirit of music.

Kokopelli Reference Drawing
Next I did a pencil drawing of a desert sunset and incorporated Mr. Fertility.  And I added shadows to everything.

Kokopelli Rough Draft
And then I added some desert sunset colors.

Kokopelli Rough Draft with color
Next we send to the client to get her approval and/or changes.

Update 12 Nov 13 - I received the following from my client.
"Jack I love the concept. You did a great job of researching kokopelli and then incorporating the Southwest theme. I also like the shadows idea. What colors are you planning to use?"
Here is what I was thinking for colors.
(Click on links below to see colors)
For the frame, I was thinking golden mahogany.  I used it for my fox mosaic.
Sky - Shades of purples (Iris, Fig, Pansy), Shade of Yellow (Citrus)
Cactus, Kokopelli, and Shadows - Night Black
Desert Floor - First Layer Terra Cotta, Second Layer Sand
Sun - China White

If you would like to change any or all of the colors, just tell me which company and which colors and I will order the colors you want.  The three tile companies I primarily use are Mosaic Mercantile, Opus Mosaics and Maryland Mosaics.

Now that the client has approved the colors, we prepare the frame and transfer the sketch.

Prepared Frame

Sketch Transferred to Frame
And here is the final piece.  A few days for the grout to dry and off it goes to its new home.

Kokopelli Final (Click on Photo for Larger View)


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for showing your process. I learned something new! :-)

    ReplyDelete